The Farm Store at 20/East in Cazenovia is one-stop shopping for homegrown produce, locally produced foods and hand-crafted items by local artisans. It’s nice to know it’s there, in case your travels take you along Route 20 or in case you can’t make it to your favorite farmers market or farmstand.
McKenzie Hughes Houseman, of Cazenovia, launched the farm store in January inside the large showroom at her family’s business, Cazenovia Cut Block, and it has been growing steadily ever since. Refrigerated cases are stocked with local goods and the vendors are a who’s who of local growers and producers. These are some of the items you will find:
- Hand-crafted cutting boards, bowls, tables, islands and other custom items for the kitchen from Cazenovia Cut Block
- Maple syrup, honey, granola, maple candy and fresh greens and other produce from Local Roots Farm
- Farmstead cheeses from Meadowood Farms and 2 Kids Goat Farm
- Whole milk and chocolate milk from Trinity Valley Dairy
- Pasture-raised meat and poultry from Drover Hill Farm
- Meadow butter and creme fraiche from Kriemhild Dairy Farms
- Gourmet coffee beans from Simple Roast Coffee Company
- Sauerkraut, kimchi and beet kvass from Food and Ferments
- Rustic, wood-fired sourdough breads from HeartStone Artisan Bakery at Alambria Springs Farm
- Pies (and other goodies) by Cakes and Other Goodies
- Fresh pesto and bruschetta and signature salsas from Primo & Mary’s Salsa
- Pasta sauce from In My Father’s Kitchen
- Fresh and dried artisanal pasta from Flour City Pasta
- Italian olive oil from Vito and Joe’s Olive Oil (Joe Borio)
- Artisan salts and salt slabs from Syracuse Salt Company
If you can’t get to the farm store during the day, mark your calendar for the next monthly Night Market. These are fun, festive evening events with a variety of vendors and food and adult beverages available for purchase. The next Night Market is Sept. 21, 6 to 9 p.m.
Starting Sept. 15, 20/East will welcome Stockyard Bar-B-Q and Catering for monthly visits. The Morrisville-based food truck specializes in dry-rubbed meats, smoked on site. The truck will open for lunch and remain through dinnertime.
The Farm Store at 20/East is at 4157 Midstate Lane, Cazenovia. Hours are Mondays through Fridays, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Call 655-3985 or visit facebook.com/20east.
Brews And Zucchini For Supper
If you’re a vegetarian and a fan of craft beer, you’re going to appreciate the four-course vegetarian beer pairing dinner coming up at The Evergreen in Hanover Square.
The bar and restaurant at 125 Water St., has partnered with Roc Brewing of Rochester to create a menu that focuses on seasonal produce from Central New York growers, including Main Street Farms, Grey Barn Farm and Horsford Farm, paired with Roc’s beers. The first course, for example, will feature zucchini blossoms with ricotta cheese, bibb lettuce, green pepper, raw sweet corn, micro greens and pepper Ranch dressing, served with Roc’s Smash Pils. Another course will feature hickory-smoked barbecue tofu, served with collard greens, baked sweet potato and maple butter, served with Whoopass imperial/double IPA.
The four-course feast will be served Sept. 12, 4 to 10 p.m. Reservations are recommended. Cost is $40, which includes tax, plus you can save $5 by purchasing advance tickets. Gratuity is extra, as are any drinks beyond those served with the dinner. Call 870-3500 or visit theevergreen.co for information.