New Year's mean new resolutions, right? And since I already
go to the gym every day, that one’s off the list. There’s no way I’m cutting
donut holes, Reese's, carrot cake or any other junk out of my diet for any extended period, so we can forget that. And any
other cliché resolutions you have in mind--let’s just knock them all off
while we’re at it.
However, I did think of a resolution that I think I can actually get behind and I hope you can, too.
One of the best parts of my job are the piles of CDs on my desk, my computer, at home, in my car, etc. that I get to listen to all the time every day. Add Spotify to this mix, Youtube, radio, Reverbnation, band pages on Facebook and the many shows I try to get out to every week and my ears are always filled with music.
Now, let’s clear this up right now--I like all TYPES of music as long as it’s GOOD music. I admit, my iTunes isn’t spotless, but for the most part I try to surround my head with good sounds. And I’d like to share them.
I’ve decided to use this blog to post a summary every Friday of what I’ve got bumping on my playlists. This will jump around--local artists, national, old, new, whatever seems to be striking a chord with me that week. Hopefully, I’ll give you something old to pick back up or new to keep an eye out for in the future…
Happy reading. . . and listening.
- “I’ll Be Your Man” – Jose Alvarez with Los Blancos. I’ve been in love with this song since I first heard it. Seeing Alvarez this month and his mention in my story this week (Dec. 21 - Novel Experiences) prompted me to get it back in the player. I still can’t get enough.
- “Big Brown Wookie” – Master Thieves. I listened to Robbing the Blind (Melvin Recording Company) pretty heavy this week and it sent me back to other bands like the Grateful Dead and…
- “Songs We Sing” – Reid Genaur and The Assembly of Dust. “Some sing of visions of a life to live / Some sing about the way they feel / and I believe that's all there is.” Amen, brother.
- “Worth the Time” – Professional Victims. I was stoked to get this album, Motivational Speakers (Label Smabel), in the mail a few weeks back and have had it spinning in the car solidly since. I love the style of this track and, as usual, Ashley Cox’s vocals.
- “Blues for Christmas” – John Lee Hooker. A Youtube video of this song came up on my Facebook feed via the NY State Blues Festival and all I can say is, Thank you.
- “The Big Idea” – Chuck Shiele. I’ve been having a blast listening to all of the PeaceSongs online now for voting (VOTE NOW!), but I especially like the message and delivery of this song.
- “One of Those Girls” – Eileen Graham. I went to school with Eileen at James Madison University in Virginia and distinctly remember her angelic voice winning every battle of the bands there was. It's good to see she’s on to a new solo project and still delivering songs that I can’t stop listening to.
- “Almost Lover” – A Fine Frenzy. While I’m on a chick kick, I dug this tune up…I’m not sure how…but I'm glad I did. Another voice and songwriting that I find addicting.
- “Who?” – Five Easy Pieces. Thanks Joe Altier. I can always count on Joe to give me something great to listen to. Also, thank you Spotify for making this song exchange so easy.
- "Merry Christmas Baby" – Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. C’mon, you saw this one coming! I’m going home to JERSEY for Christmas! Happy holidays people.